Trash Pickup by Updike Industries
All residential and commercial customers:
Trash Pick Up is Monday only.
Trash Pickup includes all Holidays unless Christmas Day falls on a Monday. Then trash pickup will be the Tuesday following Christmas Day.
Pickup time: Between Hours of 7:00 am to 7:00 pm
Current requirements for trash collection are listed below and continue in effect:
- Trash containers should be ones provided by the Town and Updike Industries. If you do not have one, please contact the Town Office and we will get one delivered to you.
- Trash containers must be placed curbside by 7:00 am to ensure timely pickup.
- If you use your own container it may not be dumped, or if it is attempted and damaged in any way, the Town and Updike are not responsible for damages to personal containers.
- 64 gallon containers and larger will work in the system. However, we encourage use of the Updike containers.
- Containers should not be overly loaded so they cannot be handled easily.
- No liquids, chemicals or hot ashes should be placed in any garbage container.
- Automotive batteries, motor oil, tires and paint cannot be collected.
Note: Motor oil can be taken to the County Recycling Centers for processing. Automotive batteries, tires and paint can be taken to the County landfill and local grocery stores accept plastic bags for recycling.
Brush & Leaf Pickup by Town of Louisa Public Works
Pickup is the 1st and 3rd Wednesday of each month
To assist residents and encourage good property maintenance, the Town of Louisa is pleased to offer a brush removal service to residents. The service is intended to help residents of the town in disposing of small amounts of branches, hedge trimmings and yard wastes that are too large to fit into bags.
To help ensure that we continue to efficiently and effectively provide this service to the town residents; the following rules have been established:
- Brush must be stacked curbside by 7:00 am on the pickup day.
- Brush pile cannot be more than 5’ x 5’ x 10’ in one directional bundle parallel to the roadway.
- Branches must be 4 inches or smaller in diameter and no longer than 5 feet. We cannot accept bushes with roots and dirt attached; and no grape or other vines unless compacted and tied into bundles.
- Containers of twigs, leaves and smaller yard debris should be bagged for removal by the town’s regular garbage hauling service.
- Brush must be placed curbside in front of the property from which it originates; do not place brush in streets or onto other lots.
The brush removal program is not intended to handle large branches, logs, or tree stumps from large scale pruning or tree removal projects. Public Works crews will not remove trees cut down through contracted work or brush from nonresidential properties. This service is provided to residential properties only.
Town staff will make every effort to remove brush on the first and third Wednesday of each month throughout the town. Manpower constraints, equipment repairs and emergencies may however limit our ability to accomplish this goal. Please do not remove the brush from curbside; we will pick it up as soon as possible.
If you have any questions, please contact the Town of Louisa at 540-967-1400
Recycling Pickup by Updike Industries
Pickup is the 2nd and 4th Wednesday of each month
Pickup time: Between the hours of 7:00 am to 7:00 pm
The Town of Louisa recycling program picks up plastic and cardboard in addition to the newsprint, glass and aluminum that has been a part of our recycling efforts for years. [Note: not all cans are aluminum. If a refrigerator magnet sticks to the can, it’s not aluminum and not recyclable.]
- Recycling must be placed curbside by 7:00 am on pickup day to ensure timely removal.
- Recyclable plastic items have a #1 or #2 on the bottom. This includes water bottles, milk jugs, soda bottles, plastic bottles and over the counter pill bottles.
- Plastic items NOT accepted: items with a #3 or greater, such as: yogurt containers, dairy tubs, bags, Styrofoam, plastic food trays or prescription bottles.
- Make sure the plastics are clean and remove the lids as they are not recyclable.
- All cardboard items are recyclable. Please make sure they are clean, dry and that you break them down. You do not need to remove staples, tape or labels. Do not tie together.
- Items NOT accepted with the cardboard: packaging materials; i.e. Styrofoam, paper, peanuts, bubble wrap, etc.
For over 15 years the Town had distributed Rubbermaid “Roughneck” 30 gallon containers to citizens to use for recycling. If you have one, PLEASE use it to recycle the above items, or use another type of container if you find it more suitable.
We need your help in reducing the amount of solid waste we take to the county landfill!
For more information on Recycling with the Town of Louisa, please call 540-967-1400