Trash, Recycling and Brush Pick Up
Home-Events • News
Trash Pickup & Recycling Information
All residents & Commercial Pick Up – Monday Only – Including ALL holidays except Christmas Day.
Large Commercial, Restaurant, and Dumpster customers should contract directly with a trash company.
We need your help in reducing the amount of solid waste we take to the county landfill!
For more information on Recycling within the Town of Louisa, please call 540-967-1400.
Current requirements for trash collection are listed below.
- Trash containers are provided by the Town and Updike Industries. If you do not have one, please contact the Town Office and one will be delivered to you.
- If you use your own container smaller than 64 gallons it may not be dumped.
(The Town and Updike are not responsible for damages to personal containers.)
- 64 gallon containers and larger will work in the system. However, we encourage use of the Updike containers.
- Containers should not be overly loaded so they cannot be handled easily.
- No liquids, chemicals or hot ashes should be placed in any garbage container.
- Automotive batteries, motor oil, tires and paint cannot be collected.
Note: Motor Oil can be taken to the County Recycling Centers for processing, and local grocery stores accept plastic bags.
Recycling Guidelines– Recycling guidelines – Please Recycle
Pickup is the second and fourth Wednesday of each month.
Any can or receptacle may be used for recycled material and it can be co-mingled together with other recyclables.
Recycling helps reduce the amount of weekly waste. This will help reduce the amount in cans on Monday. It adds an additional pickup date to the system.
The Town of Louisa picks up plastic, cardboard, newsprint, glass, and aluminum. [Note: not all cans are aluminum]
- The plastic items that can be recycled are items with a #1 or #2 on the bottom. This includes water bottles, milk jugs, soda bottles, plastic bottles and over the counter pill bottles.
- Plastic items NOT accepted: items with a #3 or greater such as: yogurt containers, dairy tubs, bags, Styrofoam (i.e. polystyrene), plastic food trays or prescription bottles.
- Make sure the plastics are clean and remove the lids as they are not recyclable.
- All cardboard items are recyclable. Please make sure they are broken down. You do not need to remove staples, tape or labels. Do not tie together.
- Items NOT accepted with the cardboard: packaging materials; i.e.: Styrofoam (i.e. polystyrene), paper, peanuts, bubble wrap, etc.
Brush & Leaf Pickup
To assist residents and encourage good property maintenance, The Town of Louisa is pleased to offer a brush removal service to residents each year from spring through summer. The service is intended to help residents of the town in disposing of small amounts of branches, hedge trimmings, and yard wastes which are too large to fit into bags. The bi-weekly service will be provided on the first and third Wednesday of each month, from May through October.
To help ensure that we continue to efficiently and effectively provide this service to the town residents, the following rules have been established:
- Brush must be stacked curbside by 7 a.m. on the pickup day.
- Brush pile cannot be more than 5′ x 5′ x 10′ in one directional bundle parallel to the roadway.
The Brush removal program is not intended to handle large branches, logs, or tree stumps from large scale pruning or tree removal projects. Public Works crews will not remove trees cut down through contracted work or brush from nonresidential properties. This service is provided to residential properties only.
Brush must be placed curbside in front of the property from which it originates; do not place brush in streets or onto other lots.
Town staff will make every effort to remove brush on the first and third Wednesday of each month throughout the town. Manpower constraints, equipment repairs and emergencies may however limit our ability to accomplish this goal. Please do not remove the brush from curbside; we will pick it up as soon as possible.
If you have any questions, please contact the Town of Louisa at 540 967-1400.