CHIEF OF POLICE POSITION
The Town of Louisa is steeped in history and is a community where citizens and neighbors can enjoy small town living with vibrant businesses and growing residential neighborhoods. The Town of Louisa has approximately 1600 residents, and is located in Central Virginia, about an hour’s drive from Richmond and Charlottesville.
The Town is seeking a professional, approachable, innovative, and energetic community leader to serve as the next Chief of Police. The ideal candidate will have the ability to:
- Manage a department of 5 sworn officers and one administrative assistant.
- Oversee the enforcement of all local, state, and federal laws.
- Establish strong relationships between the department and the community.
- Provide visionary leadership in bringing the department to professional accreditation standards.
- Develops and maintains strong working relationships with local, state, and federal public safety partners.
- Develops and executes policies to ensure the integrity of all departmental records and files, including physical and digital evidence.
- Assist in the Town’s annual budget and capital improvement processes. Exercises internal fiscal control of the department.
- Maintains and updates the Louisa Police Department General Orders.
- Prepares grant funding applications for the department.
- Develops and executes a comprehensive community policing strategy.
- Strong communication and collaboration skills.
- Strong organizational management and human resources management skills.
- Ability to manage and ensure police officers receive training and development.
- Extensive, successful experience as a law enforcement leader required.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license.
- Bachelor’s Degree in criminal justice or related field preferred.
- Law Enforcement supervisory experience preferred.
- Must possess a DCJS Certification.
The salary for this position is commensurate with education and experience. The Town offers full-time employees benefits and retirement packages.
Applicants are required to submit a cover letter, resume, contact information for five professional references, and a Town of Louisa application to be considered for the position.
CLICK HERE to download and print the Town of Louisa application.
Applicants should send all application materials to:
Town of Louisa
P.O. Box 531
Louisa, Virginia 23093
Application materials may also be sent via email to: email@example.com
This position will remain open until filled, however, the first review of applications will begin February 1, 2021. The Town of Louisa is an Equal Opportunity Employer.