To help you avoid the unpleasant experience of burglary,
we’ve created a list of practical theft prevention tips:
|• Light all exterior points of entry with permanent fixtures that are difficult to reach or tamper with.
• Light the interior of your business enough that someone outside the building could see someone inside.
• Install a fence or hedge – it’s your first line of defense. You should be able to see through the fence.
• Hedges should be wide, rather than high, and of a prickly, thorny variety.
• Install window locks designed/positioned so they cannot be unlocked after breaking the glass.
• Install safety glass (glazing). It is highly effective at deterring break-ins.
• Install motion detectors and alarms to sense movement inside the building.
• Install a deadbolt lock/latch in each exterior door.
• Lock overhead and receiving doors with high-quality padlocks or other devices.
|Tips for Managers:
• Insure that all employees receive a written statement of key policies and procedures, and that they acknowledge receipt by their signature.
• Make it easy for employees to come forward to report their suspicions or concerns:
• Tell employees what to report and when to report it.
• Tell employees exactly how the information they provide will be used.
• Reassure employees that they are doing the right thing.
• Make yourself accessible to employees.
• Don’t criticize employees who may be over-cautious.
• Respond immediately when you receive an employee call for assistance.